Overview of CO2's Impact on Plant Benefits & Climate Change
PlantsNeedCO2.org is a 501(C)(3) non-profit foundation whose mission is to educate the public on the positive benefits of carbon dioxide (CO2) and to prevent inadvertent negative impacts on the plant and animal kingdoms, including humanity, should atmospheric CO2 be reduced.
Earth and its inhabitants have already benefited from the rise in airborne CO2
... since the beginning of the industrial revolution, by an average growth increase of over 12% for plants and 18% for trees. This has improved Earth's habitats and ecosystems, including increasing food production for an undernourished population. These benefits have helped offset the many negative impacts upon nature caused by other human activities.
A listing of these benefits, addressed later by brief explanations on each, follows:
- Additional CO2 causes an astonishing plant growth.
- More CO2 causes plants to need less water to produce the same amount of growth.
- Certain health-promoting substances such as vitamin C and antioxidants, are increased with additional airborne CO2.
- With much more food production per acre, Earth should be able to feed an expanding population and save existing pristine habitats and ecosystems.
- Existing habitats and ecosystems will have higher plant and wildlife capacity.
- The greening of Earth will continue and extend into the deserts as plants become drought tolerant.
- Plants can better resist various stresses when grown in a CO2 enriched atmosphere.
- Dramatic increases in the growth of Earth's forests will help them recover from recurring natural disasters and aid a renewable resource industry.
- CO2 is Earth's greatest airborne fertilizer.
- CO2 is the staff of life for Earth's plant kingdom which is the beginning of the food chain; without it there would be no life on Earth.
Relieve your mind by examining the facts of CO2'S influence on Climate Change
Before we launch into a brief expansion of CO2's benefits, let us examine some other facts and relieve your mind of the other misrepresentation you constantly hear from the "CO2 is a pollutant" crowd. They also claim that CO2 is "the major cause" or "a major cause" or "a significant cause" of global warming or global climate change.
Three facts falsify the "CO2 is the major cause of global warming" hypothesis:
- Changes in atmospheric CO2 FOLLOW changes in Earth's temperatures. A cause does not follow an effect.
- CO2's ability to trap more heat radiated from Earth's surface has almost maxed out. Per the laws of physics, adding more CO2 will causevery little warming effect.
- That this slight increase in temperature will cause a positive temperature feedback which can lead to catastrophic warming is only speculation. Reconstructions of Earth's temperature history show no such catastrophic warming, even when CO2 levels were several thousand parts per million or over 15 times current CO2 levels.
- Empirical, real world, observations indicate that CO2 is NOT having a significant effect on Earth's current or historical temperatures. Any influence by CO2 is clearly overridden by other, natural causes.
Benefits to Plants Expanded >>
CO2 & Climate Change Expanded >>
||Shared 11 times
** For additional peer-reviewed scientific references and an in-depth discussion of the science supporting our position, please visit Climate Change Reconsidered: The Report of the Nongovernmental Planel on Climate Change (www.climatechangereconsidered.org), or CO2 Science (www.co2science.org).